Tewkesbury Abbey was founded in 1087 by Robert FitzHamon but the present site was not built until 1102. After the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540, the cloister and the Lady Chapel were quarried for their materials. The Abbey Church was sold to the parishioners for £453. Our Scholars spent the day at the Abbey carrying out drill resistance tests to investigate the effectiveness of nano-lime with Andrew Townsend, 1985 architect Scholar.
In the car generously donated by Jonathan Castleman of Norman and Underwood, the Scholars drove on to Lincoln Cathedral. They were hosted by Phil Russon, leadworker Fellow 2010. The Scholars met Paul Ellis, stonemason, as he worked on replacement stonework for the south-west turret.
Lincoln Cathedral has a long history of conservation, with the first repairs beginning after an earthquake in 1185. Today, the main focus for repair and conservation is the turrets which frame the west front of the cathedral. Abseiling stonemasons recently surveyed the cathedral for damage and it was much worse than anticipated so a five year-long programme of restoration work was devised for the two great turrets.